Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Day 6 - Baked Alaska

Day 6 has been my favorite day so far.   Not only did this taste delicious, but it was so fun to make.   I have happy memories of Mum making Baked Alaska and remember being fascinated as a kid with how you could cook ice-cream.    This was my very first attempt at baking my own Baked Alaska and I'm happy to report that it worked!

Not surprisingly this was a hit with the kids too.   Elizabeth declared that this was her favorite day so far.

Ben enjoyed it too but not just for the usual reasons.   Baked Alaska is a dramatic dish, which you set on fire just before presenting it to your guests.   Mum had told me that traditionally brandy was used but that she never had success with it.  Instead, she used lemon essence or vanilla essence.   I didn't have any brandy, and my vanilla essence is homemade from vodka so I wasn't sure how well it would work.

So Ben gladly rose to the challenge of going through our alcohols to find out which was the most flammable.   We had seven different kinds to try, and unfortunately most didn't even create the smallest flame.   For each one, he put some in a shot glass, lit the match and watched.   Once it was tested, he drank the sample.    Let's just say that I had a very talkative husband for the evening and he did lots of cycling to exercise off the calories :)    Luckily we had one that lit up quite nicely - Peppermint Schnapps.  





No comments: