Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Day 12 - Black Truffle

Today our new food was Black Truffle.   We almost didn't try this food, as I asked for it at the shop only to find that one truffle cost in the range of $60-$100.   Ben and I had decided that we needed to wait until we had more money to try this food.   But then we found Black Truffle Butter.   A tiny tub of butter cost us $8.99 - but it contained shaved black truffle, black truffle puree and black truffle extract so we knew we were going to experience the taste without breaking our budget.


I served it with gluten free pasta and romano cheese.   My original recipe called for pasta, olive oil, black truffle and romano, so this was pretty close to the original.

I was not surprised when Isaac announced that he did not like it.   Isaac is not a big pasta fan at the best of times.   Add in a strong flavored butter and it was not well received.   He did, however, add some meat and suffered through the meal.


Elizabeth loved it.   This girl of ours is our food lover.   She has loved trying new foods for the past two weeks and each day she seems to be finding a new "favorite".


Ben and I thought it was delightful.   I think when we have the budget available, we might try the real thing.   This was a much cheaper way to find out how our family reacted.   It would have been terrible if we all screwed up our noses after paying $80 for a truffle.


Kai did not try the Black Truffle.  He did, however, thoroughly enjoy the pasta and cheese.   Or as he kept on saying "Can I have some more spaghetti with my cheese?"

No comments: