Sunday, December 15, 2013

Day 4 - Spaetzle

Today's new food was Spaetzle.    This is a German food that resembles little dumplings.  




The recipe is very basic, but I found it quite hard to make.   Basically, I made a simple gluten free dough from eggs, flour and milk (the easy part).  I then pushed the dough through a colander into boiling water.   All recipes I found recommended pushing the dough through with a spoon.  I was really struggling until I had the bright idea to use a cup with a heavy bottom.    A pair of oven mitts also helped!

We served it with bratwurst and sauerkraut - both new foods for the kids too.  

Isaac did not really like the spaetzle - he thought it tasted too much like spaghetti which he doesn't really like.

Elizabeth thought it was too bland.

I liked it but it was pretty bland.  I think it would have tasted a lot nicer with some fresh herbs.

Ben liked the spaetzle.

Kai was the funniest.   Being a typical 4 year old, he refused to try it.   As I was reasonably sure he would like it, we told him he had to be a big boy and try one mouthful.    This resulted in many tears, but he took a mouthful.   While still sobbing, he says "I like it".   He ended up eating all of his, and a little bit of Isaac's.


None of the kids liked the sauerkraut, but they all liked the bratwurst.


No comments: