Today we tried Kumquats. They are small citrus fruits that are in season at this time of year. No one had ever tried these before. I did have another meal on my menu but I felt like something nice and easy to try, due to all the busyness of Christmas. What could be better than a small fruit which we didn't need to prepare!
Kumquats can be eaten with or without the skin. Ben was the first to try and he found the skins quite bitter.
Due to this, we recommended that the kids try the fruit without the skins. For this they suck on the fruit to remove the juice.
Elizabeth was the next one to try. Let's put it this way - she's now eaten about 6-7 kumquats. Because she liked the first so much, she decided to try them with the skin as well. She declares that they taste better with the skin.
Isaac and Kai were not impressed at all!
As for me, I liked them as much as any other citrus fruit. I tried both with and without the skin but preferred them without the skin. I have to admit though, as I'm typing up this post I have a nice fresh taste in my mouth.
No comments:
Post a Comment