Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

Another year - another Thanksgiving.   I like Thanksgiving as the whole day is based around a meal and one thing I really do enjoy is cooking.
 
This year, I really wanted to have the kids get involved in some of the baking so I decided that they would make some kid friendly desserts. So off to Pinterest I went.   (I love Pinterest.com - if you haven't ever been there, it's a wonderful place to search for ideas on nearly anything from travel, to cooking, to house decorating, and to school crafts and more). 
 
I decided we would make Rice Crispy Thanksgiving Turkeys.    They all got involved - I thought I would be lucky if my boys made even one as they are not big into crafts but they all loved making these.
 

 
 
The end result were these little turkeys!



If you ever want to make them - detailed instructions can be found here:    http://amysfinerthings.com/too-cute-turkey-treats

I suspect that her kids didn't make hers - as they look perfect!

We tried to have a healthy thanksgiving meal this year - Ben and I are watching what we are eating and we didn't want to over indulge like we often do.   I made my own cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potato salad and green beans.   I also had gravy but it's not featured in my photo as this was my plate and I don't like gravy!   I bought the bread rolls, as I'm not superwoman despite what my family sometimes thinks ;-)


 
For dessert, I made mini pumpkin pies and cheesecakes.   It was all very delicious.
 
During lunch, we talked about what we are thankful for.
 
We are thankful for our family and the opportunities that we have.   We are thankful that we are going to be able to visit our extended family in Australia next year too!   Isaac and Kai are thankful for computers.   Elizabeth is thankful for our cats.

No comments: