Elizabeth did not get the position of Student Council Treasurer. Let's just say she was very upset.
As a mum, it's hard to watch a child struggle over the disappointments in life. Sometimes you wonder if you do and say the right things. This was one of those moments.
Before the election, I let her know that I was proud of her for running for the position. I was proud of the fact that she was willing to get up to speak in front of 100 plus kids. And no matter whether she won or lost that I would be proud of her.
But when she came home, looking down cast and near tears - I knew what was coming. I offered a hug but it was rejected. All she wanted was to be alone in her room. I was told quite bluntly to go away.
I wrote her a letter, dropped into her room and retreated. I hope that the message got through that it was OK to be sad but that I was still proud of her. And that I would love to see her try again next year despite the disappointment this year.
I then turned into mean mummy. Two hours later, when she was still upset and didn't want to go to swimming lesson, I told her she had no option. We had paid for swimming lessons and unless she wanted to pay me the cost of the lesson she had to go.
Life sometimes does not seem fair, especially when you are nine. But we all have to get up and keep on going.
She was fine today. The disappointment of yesterday has passed.
1 comment:
Ha! Life as a mother is so familiar. How many times have I said the words "You are going to the music lesson or you will get money out of your bank and go and pay the teacher yourself"!! Letting your kids learn to deal with disappointment is one of the most important lessons in life. I pity the poor kids these days whose parents smooth the way and never let their kids feel disappointed. How will they cope as adults? Sounds like Lizzy, on the otherhand is learning these lessons and turning into an amazing young person already!! We're proud of you for having a go Lizzy. Well done! I hope you try again next year.
Post a Comment