Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Family History

While Kai is napping, I'm spending my time on a volunteer family history project called "FreeReg". I am helping transcribe historical parish registers, and right now I am transcribing records from the 1700's in Rochester, Kent, England.

I wish my ancestors died in Rochester. The vicar is a rare man for his times, and he records lots of interesting information on his parishioners. I know who was an Alderman (obviously you had to be pretty old to be an alderman because quite a few of them are dying), I know who committed suicide, who was accidently killed, and I even know the ship on which someone captained. I know who died in the workhouse, and who had a higher social status, as they are recorded as Mr or Mrs. Even better, every entry has whether they lived in Rochester or somewhere else. This is a historical gem field. Most registers at this time usually only had a name and date - if you are really unlucky a widowed woman is recorded as Widow Smith.

I am enjoying this project, despite the fact that Ben laughs and tells me he couldn't think of anything more boring.

No comments: