Friday, June 13, 2008

The Cheat Sheet

The kids computer is password protected. We chose to do this so we could monitor how much time they spent on the computer.

As the password was for time monitoring (not content monitoring - we have a whole other system for that!), I allow them to enter the password by spelling it out to them as they type it in. I knew it would only be a matter of time until they learnt how to spell it by themselves.

The other week was a typical day. Elizabeth had asked to play on the computer and I'd given permission. I wasn't looking when she was asking "Mummy, what's the next letter?". Little did I know that she was writing the password onto a brown paper bag instead of typing it into the computer.

So now she has her own cheat sheet. Luckily, she still asks me whether she can play on the computer. If I say "yes" out comes the cheat sheet, and she types in the not-so-secret password.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how clever! So this is yet another sign of growing up.How wonderful is that!
Love Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

Once again we live in parallel worlds. We too are having computer password issues. We also like to moniter for time but this is not a huge issue as in our very small house we can't help but know when the kids are on the computer. Now the kids have their own email addresses and we like to moniter who they are emailing what to!! They are supposed to ask before they check or send email. The other day Jess proudly tells us that he has changed the password on the computer. We then had to tell him that he cannot keep it a secret and needs to tell us what it is. I think he was somewhat disappointed. So there is the next step for you Werona, soon Lizzy will learn how to change the password on you and You will need a cheat sheet!!!! - Mel