Friday, January 18, 2008

Math & Music

I've been struggling for awhile to develop Isaac's sense of rhythm. Clapping on the beat has just been impossible for him; even keeping a steady beat has been difficult. So how do you teach rhythm to a child who seems to have no sense of rhythm?

It struck me the other week. "Isaac - can you hear the math in the music?"

His head pops up, and I can see a gleam of interest.

"Listen...the music is counting to 4, over and over again. 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4. It's like a pattern."

So each time we've heard something with a strong beat, we've listened for the counting in the music. And do you know what? I think he's starting to hear it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course! How wonderful!!! You just have to link things to his natural interests.Well done Mum!!
Love Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

When I did high school music and things got difficult I began to see the maths in music. We got into quavers and semi quavers and syncopated rhythms which seemed a little too much like fractions to me. I am very glad the maths/music correlation brought a glint to Isaac's eye. However, I am sad to say that the glints in my eyes when I realised the maths/music correlation were tears - of anger and frustration!!!! But then maths did often reduce me to tears, I was just sorry it had to invade my precious music. Obviously though it bodes well for those in the population who prefer using the other side of thier brain. Go Isaac! - Mel

Rona said...

Mel...you sound like me. I hated the "maths" aspect of music.