Sunday, April 08, 2007

Milestones

When our children are babies it seems like they hit milestones every week. As they grow, the milestones seem to space out. Therefore it was a big weekend for us as both Elizabeth & Isaac hit milestones that we just had to write about.

Lizzy's milestone is that she worked out how to swim! Yeah! It was quite funny to watch. She has always loved the water, but all she wanted to do was float on her back. She was flat out refusing to put her head under the water. However, last week at swimming lessons she suddenly discovered putting her head under was fun. This week she discovered that she could float on her belly, kick her legs and put her head under at the same time - and wala - she could move. You would think that she had found the cure for all the world's ills with the amount of excitement this caused her.

And Isaac's milestone.....

He watched Star Wars for the first time. Yes, I know some of you may not think of this as a milestone but Ben & I thought it was worthy of note. Our boy was entraced. We watched Episode 1. You could tell he was a little bored when there were serious or sappy moments, but his eyes were alight when ever there was action.

I've been trying to work out when Owen first watched Star Wars - I'm not sure which episode - but he must of been of a similar age. I remember that Mum took me to see Humphrey the Bear Live while Dad took Owen to the movies. I also remember feeling at little sad that my big brother was going to see Star Wars (although I have to admit that Humphrey was a pretty exciting alternative). I think Elizabeth felt much the same way when we told her she needed to wait until she was five too. She excepted with good grace - however, unlike me, she missed out on a fun alternative. Instead she went to bed.

4 comments:

Syphen said...

Unbelievable how different children can be!!! Jon has always said Jesse had to be 10 before he could watch daddy's Batman videos. Recently Jesse has been into Star Wars lego in a big way. He has a sticker book with all the characters and knows the relationship between Anakin, Luke, Leia etc etc. He pretty much knows the story line, who flies which spacecraft, the job of a bounty hunter etc etc. Talking to him you might think he has actually seen the movies. This has prompted Jon and I to wonder whether soon he would be old enough to see the movie.

Well our question was answered recently when the kids were watching the movie version of Roald Dahl's Matilda. If you don't know there is an evil head mistress who terrorises the kids - although it is a comedy - quite funny and made for kids. Em had been watching from the get go and Jess tuned in about half way in when we put their tea in front of the telly. 3mins later and Jess bursts into tears. "She's really scaring me" he says (about the headmistress) in some distress. So we turned off Matilda and realised that it will be quite a while yet before our boy is ready for Star Wars.

I don't think Em will have Elizabeth's problem because she will be watching Star Wars with daddy probably long before Jess gets the courage up!!!!

Mel

Syphen said...

Also - for those family who read this speaking of milestones. Lijy now has two teeth and is beginning to pull himself along commando style. He says dada and buba and has the uncanny ability to mimic us so that when we say hello, he has an exceptional attempt at saying hello back. With only a small amount of imagination you believe he is actually talking.

He is growing very fast and asks daily when he will get to meet his American cousins. 'Soon Lijy' I say with hope in my voice!!!!

Mel

Rona said...

Yeah to Elijah! I just love how babies just change all the time. We are still hoping to be seeing you all in July/August!

Rona said...

Oh...and with the Star Wars watching - he wasn't disturbed by the movie (whew!). However, in the saddest part (Qui-Gon is dying) Isaac turns to Ben and says "Boys can't have babies!". OK?????