Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Conversations

It is funny how sitting in the car seems to be the place for "deep and meaningful" conversations.

Yesterday, as we were driving along Isaac suddenly asked me "How many birthdays do you need to be dead?"

Wow....where did that one come from?

I responded somewhere along the lines of that we hope to have enough birthdays so that we can be mummies and daddies, then grandmas and grandad's and maybe even great grandparents.

That seemed to satisfy him, but then he started chatting about being a daddy one day. I explained that if he or Elizabeth had a baby, then I would be a grandma and grandma would be a great grandma.

At 5 years old, however, you are full of knowledge and know exactly how the world works. So when he told me that he was going to have 2 children, one a girl and one a boy, I decided that he really didn't need to know that he had no control over that. So I just replied "That's wonderful Isaac. I'm sure I'll love being their grandma."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree. Its fascinating the subjects that get discussed in cars and never the ones you were expecting.Children are such deep thinkers. We often forget to take that into account. I think it would be interesting to know the thoughts and leaps of mental logic that were going on before that question came out. Can't wait for the next episode.
Good luck with the Grandma plans to you too.
Cheers Jan A

Syphen said...

Driving home from church today had a conversation with Em and Beth about true love (boys went home with Jan and Russ so it was just a girl conversation) Someone at school told Em when you are a teenager you can find true love. We had a long conversation about how teenagers can find true love like Josh and Caroline and how others find it a lot later like Jan's cousin Murray who has only just found his true love. Wanting to get in a message we told the girls that when the time comes church is a great place to find a true love!!!! What a conversation to have with and 5 and 3 year old.

I guess now is the time to start praying for the future mates of our beautiful girls (and the boys also) so that they have the best chance of finding their perfect true love when the time is right!!!

- Mel
P.S. Werona - I have to say it is amazing how closely conversations in your house mirror what goes on in ours. When reading your blog I can mostly be seen nodding my head in agreement having often recently gone through an experience very similar to the one you are describing!!!