Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Emotions

You would think, being female, that I would have anticipated the sensitive, emotional response a little girl might have to daily situations. However, I was quite unprepared for today's emotional outburst.

We were at Mommy & Me - when suddenly Lizzy ran over to me crying. As I hug her, I ask what is wrong.

"Nobody wants to play me with."

Ahhh. I have to admit I didn't anticipate that one for another year or two.

I quickly glance at where she'd come from, and realise that "nobody" are the 5 & 8 year old sisters who are happily playing together and appear to uninterested in the play of a 3 year old. It was not really surprising they didn't want to play with her, as they were doing "big kid" stuff.

As I bumble over an answer, I point her in the direction of another little girl, closer to her age. She happily heads off, emotions in control. For now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often have to tell my school mums that it's an interesting fact that when a child says no-one wanted to play with me today, it usually means that at some point in the day the particular kid who I wanted to play with didn't want to play with me. Viewed as part of a school day, this incident may have only occupied less than a minute and they may have gone on to happily play with others. Yet when their mother asks them, "How was your day?" they will often remember only that one minor rejection.I'm sure that there are lots of reasons for this but being reassured that there are other children who do want to play with them usually dissolves any concerns. So as usual, Well done Mum, Love Jan