You would not think the words "I see a ...." would cause much fuss. They seem so simple and straight forward.
However, to Isaac they are an insult. To Isaac they mean "Look mummy! They can't spell my name properly", followed by tears.
At speech therapy we are currently working on the letter "s". He has a page of "s" pictures, and at the top our speech therapist wrote "I see a ..." as a guide to me for homework. He is supposed to say "I see a snowman" or "I see a snake". But the only thing he saw was a bad attempt at someone trying to spell his name.
The only thing that upsets him more is when someone spells his name Issac. We won't even mention the response that comes when that happens.
I think he's really going to enjoy being able to read.
4 comments:
How clever is that? Good on Isaac!! I can imagine the indignation. Even my name is pretty straight forward but when I was little, people used to spell it "Ema" or "Amma." One little boy at school used to tell me that my name didn't exist! I'm sure you've got a story or two about your name too Werona...
Oh wow! That is so good. I mean good that he is so aware of print with meaning and his own name etc not good that he gets upset. Have you shown him how letters can be used over and over again to make different words using magnetic letters or letter blocks (and I guess avoiding his name initially)like pat and tap. I don't know what he is interested in most but even the letters from the words,"star wars lego" could be reused to make lots of words. Sorry if I sound too pushy here. I just get so excited and more than a little carried away when I see a child (especially one so special as our Isaac) on the first steps of leaping off into literacy and his Mummy and daddy have sure prepared him so well for this......Love Jan
Jan...yes we've got fridge magnet's which we've been playing with. We've done words with "at" and "ox". His patience doesn't last long though, so we only do about 2 or 3 words at a time. He will, however, sit down with the Hooked on Phonics and say all the letter sounds over and over again. He likes it so much I'm thinking of putting the CD onto my ipod, so both of the kids can do it in the car.
He is at such a wonderful age (yet again I guess)I just love to see children in this stage where their awarenesss of the print world as something that relates to them and something that they can manipulate and gain power and independence from just opens like a blossoming flower......and gosh he reminds me of Ben. Do you know that Ben was fine with letters and words... not overexcited in Year One...until I found nonfiction books written at his level and he was off at a rate of knots.... I credit Joe with getting him hooked on science fiction.
Post a Comment