Growing up, I remember looking at our artifical Christmas tree and thinking "oh boy, it looks so fake!" Since living here, I have changed my mind. It looked fake simply because they are not the type of tree which I was used to seeing.
Today I went Christmas tree shopping. No, not for a fake one, but the real deal. Along side the road, people set up Christmas tree lots. It's a little squared off area, all muddy from the recent snow and rain, with christmas lights strung around the outside. Inside the ropes, there are all sorts of different trees. Noble fir, Douglas Fir, Norway Spruce and more. They come in all sizes, from little tiny trees to ones that are around 10 foot tall.
I came home with a 7 foot Noble fir. I chose one that was very dense in needles and smells divine. We removed all the decorations from the artifical tree we'd put up the other day, and as I looked I was surprised to see that I'd chosen one that was considerably larger than our fake tree - I hadn't been able to tell that looking at it in the open space that was the tree shop. Luckily, we'd shopped the post-Christmas sales last year, and had picked up lots of tinsel on the cheap and it was still packed away.
So now, shimmering in the corner of our living room, is a beautiful real Christmas tree. I'm happy, and so is the cat.
No comments:
Post a Comment