We recently purchased a learn to read set called "Hooked on Phonics". Both Isaac and Elizabeth seem to really enjoy it. Elizabeth is still learning her letters, and Isaac is learning the letter sounds. He knows most of them, and I'm sure he'll have them all down pat soon.
Hooked on Phonics has also taught me a thing or two. One of them is that Isaac definately has an American accent. (Yes...grandmothers are permitted to groan).
I decided to turn off the CD and say the letter sounds together. We were saying "A", then making the "a" sound, then saying the word apple. I said the sound, when suddenly Isaac stops and says "No - it's aaah". My ears are hurting. How did that sound manage to get so butchered? But - good mother that I am I say "Yes Isaac - it's "aaah". And we move on.
I've always struggled to put on an American accent - maybe this is my chance to get it right.
4 comments:
Oh well at least he will sound like his "australian/virginian" father...see ben for details on this story. Thanks so much for this blog. sorry we don't reply more regularly and faster, but we are just so caught up talking about the posts. We love them. Elizabeth's letter to Santa looked just like Emma's first attempts at her name. Looking forward to more blog posts, love Jan
why am i anonymous??
a says aah or should that be aargh!!! Would you like us to send tapes of us all talking for the kids to put under their pillows. Maybe they will subconciously pick up Australian accents. (or should I say CD - tapes !!!! showing my age aren't I?) Mel
I'd be excited Rona - How cool is an American accent? They're very lovely to listen to if you ask me. Just think of all the girls swooning when he comes back to Oz to visit. Australian accents are cool too - But a bit of a drawl never harmed our Benji much !!! Madeline's vocals are currently set to LOUD (forget any accent). It's very funny when she screams at Joe: "YOU LIKE A BICCIE JOE!!??" I can see her on an airplane screaming at the passengers: "TEA? YOU LIKE A TEA???" It makes me giggle ( :
Post a Comment