Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mathematical Bent

Isaac and Elizabeth seem to have inherited a knack for Math from Ben.   Ben once said to me that he just sees Math, and I think Elizabeth is showing that same tendency.  

Both kids are in a Math Club - their choice.   The other week, Elizabeth's teacher told me that Elizabeth's strength is logic - that she is the one who can look at a problem and know what to do.

I saw this for myself tonight.   She was doing some math club homework and came to me and said that she didn't know how to divide numbers which had multiple decimal places (eg 8.26  / 2 =).   I briefly showed her how to carry the remainder.  About 10 minutes later she came back to me and said "Mum!   I used what you showed me to work out how to divide using numbers with decimal places. (eg 2 / 9.7 = )     I love how she was just able to transfer one concept to another.

She just seems to "see" math too.


No comments: