When Isaac wasn't talking by about 18 months, I decided that I would teach him basic sign language. I didn't try too hard and we just learnt the basics such as "more" and "all done". He caught on and some basic communication started.
I started much earlier with Lizzy - around 7 months. By 10-11 months she could tell me when she wanted to eat, wanted more (food) or was "all done" (eating) or wanted to get up. Because of the success we had with Lizzy, I have started to sign with Kai too.
Today, Kai signed for the first time. He was in his high chair eating lunch and I asked (and signed) if he wanted more or was all done. He signed "all done". But even more thrilling to me was that he signed at the same time as babbling in the same pitch pattern that I use when saying "all done". He was rewarded by being instantly taken out of his high chair and covered with kisses.
Fast forward to dinner. I asked the same question. This time he didn't sign but he did make the same pitch pattern. This time he didn't get his kisses though, as he was covered in carrots and cottage cheese :)
No comments:
Post a Comment