"Lizzy, who do you want to read books with tonight? Mummy or Daddy?"
"Daddy."
(Ben is madly pointing at me)
"Are you sure you don't want Mummy to read books? She loves reading you books."
"No. I want Daddy. He has a nice voice."
Well - you got me there. Who can resist that deep voice :)
3 comments:
So how could that man with the nice voice not read to such a discerning young lady but I hear that he fudged and passed the job to mummy.....now are we really surprised.....trust me.One day she won't need anyone to read to her and while you will be so proud of her, a little bit of you will wish that those bedtime stories went on just a bit longer.
Cheers Grandma Jan
I kinda miss that nice voice myself a little! If you had told me when Ben was 11 or 12 that one day I would miss his voice I would have laughed in your face!! However I do indeed miss it, not quite as much as I miss the bear hugs. Ben, when you come to visit next time may I have a bear hug and a bedtime story please??!! Love Mel
Werona,
Your blog is just jogging my memory a lot :)
I remember when we had just moved to Canberra, I think my girls had a definate preference for me reading stories - but of course any story reader was acceptable really.
Anyway, I remember that after the 500th time or so that I had read a particular story, that I would try to liven things up a bit (mainly for myself), by doing the some voice characterisation, or changing the words around a little.
And I particularly remember Sarah Jayne (about 4-5 years old at the time), sitting snuggled up beside me with her sheep snuggled up to the other side of her face,twirling fingers from one hand in her hair, and her thumb in her mouth, looking like an absolute angel, and every time I changed the wording, she took her thumb out of her mouth just long enough to thump me and say "Read it properly", and Every time I spoke in a character voice, out would come the thumb and thump - "No silly voices".
Now just to round it out a bit...
My dad and mum made the big drive down all the way from Brisbane about 6 months after we moved into our house at Gowrie, and my dad, who also had a nice deep voice, got roped into reading duty. Well, having been an english teacher, he lasted about two minutes into the first story before he tried some voice characterisation, and yep, thump, "No silly voices Dave" ...
Jan's memory of Dave reading to Sarah is a lot better than mine, and perfectly hilarious, but, she says, hard to write. Ask her one day about "Soffy and the Slossages" (Sophie and the sausages)
Joe
Post a Comment