For the past two months, Isaac has participated in his school cross country team. With cross country, there are no requirements to join. You simply pay the fee, turn up and train hard.
I was so surprised at the beginning of the school year when Isaac announced that he wanted to do cross country. He has never shown any interest in sports. I have to admit that I was slightly worried, because he's not athletically inclined and I was worried about how he would go. I didn't want him to become discouraged about his abilities.
It turns out though, that by being worried it was really me that was discouraging him. He has shown such a great spirit and got a lot of enjoyment out of running. He would come home from an interschool meet, and be excited because he didn't come in last. He was fully aware that he was the slowest in his school but it didn't dampened his spirits.
Today was the Junior Varsity Cross Country finals.
I must admit that I had to look up the definition of Varsity. It means "a sports team representing a school or college". It's not a word we ever used in Australia and middle school is the first time I've come across it as they don't do any interschool sports in elementary grades.
So Isaac was representing his school at the cross country finals today. And I am so proud of him. I'm proud that this is my boy who has struggled physically. My boy whom I was told at 2 that he would never be an athlete due to his physical delays. My boy who could not jump at 5 years old. My boy who was always the slower runner at soccer. My boy who we needed to do physical therapy with to help with muscle tone. I'm so proud of him because he doesn't care that he's slower than the other boys but he still went ahead and joined the cross country team. My boy whom I have seen improve over the past 2 months. My boy who hasn't been discouraged.
I have to admit as I saw him run across the finish line today, my heart swelled and I cheered not just for him but for what he has achieved.
3 comments:
Amazing! I am so proud of Isaac too but I am also so proud of you Werona. You are an amazingly wonderful Mum. Well done to you both. Love Jan
Wow. How big has he gotten!! Can't wait to see him. Well done Isaac! Keep it up.
Wow. How big has he gotten!! Can't wait to see him. Well done Isaac! Keep it up.
Post a Comment