Friday, July 12, 2013

Welcome Charcoal

We have recently added a new family member of the feline variety to our household.



Charcoal joined our house about two weeks ago.    My friend's cat had kittens back in April, and I said outright that we would not be getting a new kitten.   Cleo is a senior cat these days, as she is 8 years old and I didn't want her to have to cope with a baby in the house.

However, after watching these kittens grow from birth, I fell in love.   Finally I ended up taking Ben to Kristina's house and Charcoal worked his charm on Ben too.   We came home with a new kitten.

We kept the two cats separated for a while, although there were the occasional escapes and encounters.   But they were brief and we quickly separated the cats.   They soon started sitting at the door and batting paws.

Two days ago, we started having supervised visits between the two.   It has gone very well.   They spend most of their time play fighting.   The movements are slow, and lots of bouncing is occurring especially by Charcoal.   Cleo is jumping and leaping and playing too - she's getting more exercise with Charcoal than she has in a long time.   Our vet said that she's the equivalent to a 300 pound, 56 year old woman - so a bit of exercise with the young might do her good!  The downside, is that I saw her limping slightly tonight.  I think she might have worked the muscles a bit too much today.  









Charcoal is a bit of a twit, and doesn't know when to stop though.   You can see that Cleo is exhausted from his antics, but he keeps on stalking her and pouncing on her.   She'll finally hiss and he gets the message.   He then walks around her making a pitiful meowing sound.    Five minutes later, he'll try again though.

So far, they've had about 4 "together" times, with the longest being about 2 hours.

I think it's going to work out.   At least, that's what I'm telling myself.



No comments: