As I browsed, I suddenly spotted a book that looked familiar. It was Bach Eight Little Preludes and Fugues for Organ. It looked just the same, however the one I remember is much more faded, tatty and yellowed inside. For a moment, I doubted that it could be the same book but I quickly flicked through the pages and found one of my favorite pieces from my childhood, the Prelude and Fugue in F Major. I then flicked to the front and sure enough, this book was first published in 1912 and then in 1940. It really was Mum's book, albeit a new copy. I have happy memories of listening to Mum play this piece and then attempting to play it myself as I got older.
I came home and fiddled on the piano, only to hear Elizabeth comment "I love that piece". I wonder if, in 30 years time, she'll wander into a music shop, find her own copy and have wonderful memories too. I'd like to think so.
No comments:
Post a Comment