Saturday, August 07, 2010

Lefty

It looks like we might have a lefty. Ben & I have suspected for a while that Kai was showing a preference for his left hand. He looked much more comfortable holding his spoon in his left hand and would often reach out with his left hand. However, he would also use his right hand.

However, today Kai was was struggling to put the straw into a juice box using his right hand. After a little bit, he swapped hands and instantly got the straw through the tiny hole with his left hand.

Ben looked at me and said "Perhaps we should start handing him everything to his left hand - I heard that's one of the biggest mistakes right-handed parents do to their left handed kids".

I had to agree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you believe so is Lijy and Luke was looking that way for a while too. Luke is dominantly left but writes with his right. Lijy draws with both hands at the moment but both the optometrist and physio have said he is left dominant. The OT has suggested putting everything directly in front of him so he can choose which one to use (this might be a good hint for Kai) that way we are not influencing him one way or the other and he can develop the way he wants. Is there any left in the Seeman family?? Jon's sister Kate is left handed. How funny the patterns our kids are following!!! - Mel

Rona said...

No - if Kai turns out to be left handed he will be the first from my side (as far as I'm aware anyway).

Anonymous said...

How funny - but very interesting!! As far as I can tell there are no left handed Armstrongs!! (Except Glenda but she's not biologically related) I wonder about the Collins family? As far as I can tell there is often a genetic disposition but not always!! (Although Jon was saying you don't always know with older relatives, his Nan was left but made to write with her right in school so there may be some further back in the line who were converted to right by a teacher with a ruler!) Love watching them develop, don't you? Looking forward to seeing him at work in December!!