Thursday, November 29, 2007

Raw Fish

As a general rule, I don't sushi. To me sushi means raw fish. The thought of eating raw fish makes me queasy. However, just recently Ben has been on a sushi kick so we have started to make our own. (It is the most cost efficient way to let him eat sushi). For me, we make vegetarian sushi. I can handle that.

What has surprised me however, is that Lizzy seems to love sushi. And just to make me gag, her favourite is raw salmon on top of rice (salmon nigiri). She & Ben devour the stuff.
I was watching them eating their sushi tonight and felt like gagging, when I look over at my husband. He is there, beaming, thrilled that he now has a sushi eating partner, albeit a 4 year old one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading all these 'sushi' posts with a queasy feeling in my stomach. I have eaten sushi once and got through one and a half pieces (the vegetarian kind) before beginning to gag. I spent the rest of the night with stomach cramps etc (I will not divulge the rest of the gory details of that night but it was not pleasant). I also remember in Canada Pete Moore made me try salted dried seaweed (as revenge for him having to try vegemite) and again I remember the gagging sensation. Putting 2 & 2 together I believe I am allergic to seaweed!!!!! Now even the smell or sight of sushi makes me feel ill!!! But you guys enjoy!!!- I have heard it is very good for you!!! Just remember not to serve it when I come to visit!!! - Mel
P.S. Can't believe the kids like it too!!

Rona said...

They're weird, aren't they? LOL.

Anonymous said...

Jesse is just as weird. His favourite food - tossed salad!!!! If we have meat hot chips and salad for tea he leaves the meat and chips until he's had about three servings of salad!!! - I can't complain about that can I!! - Mel

Anonymous said...

I learned to eat sushi a lot first while at uni, because it was so cheap! Now I opt for it because it is a good Gluten Free option. However, a while ago Cam and I went to our local Japanese Restaurant. I decided to order the mixed sushi as I thought it would be the safest Gluten Free option. They produced an array of sea-creatures prepared nigiri style (ie. rice with raw seafood on top and no seaweed). I was quite comfortable eating the usuals (e.g. raw salmon/tuna/prawn). I made myself eat at least a half of the others, e.g. eel, octopus, shark, squid and other unidentifiable flesh. It was very entertaining for Cameron (who helped me eat them) and myself. I haven't been turned off eating sushi though. - Anita.