Sunday, May 27, 2007

Appearances

Isaac is such a boy these days. He's starting to like boy things, he's starting to get rough in a playful way. He also couldn't care less how he looked. Present him with clothes and shoes, and he'll put them on without a care.

Elizabeth, on the other hand, cares. Not only does she care, but she knows exactly how she wants to look. Heaven forbid if you suggest something she doesn't want to wear. However, when it comes to shoes she is very particular. She knows the shoes she wants to wear, and they must be clean.

As we were putting on her fairly new shoes yesterday morning, she starting saying "No, no no! I need new shoes."

"But Lizzy, these shoes are new."

"No - they are old. I need new shoes."

At this point I turned to Ben and said "I think we have a cronic shoe shopper on our hands."

Ben rolls his eyes and Lizzy says very seriously "Yes, I think so too."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fascinating how early children show certain character or personality traits? Obviously these things are not taught, but could they be in your genes?....mmmmm
Cheers Jan A

Anonymous said...

How very familiar!!! Jon often says how easy boys are. We put clothes out on the lounge the night before and Jess puts them on every morning without a word. Em however taught us very quickly that she needs to be consulted about her clothes choices...however sometimes that is not enough. Once, when going to the school disco we discussed what she was going to wear, she choose her outfit and I got it out and ironed it nicely. Not half a day later we were in the middle of an hour long screaming tantrum about not wanting to wear was put out for her. It was only when the rest of us got into the car and started down the driveway that the matter was somewhat resolved. Needless to say we were late for the disco!!! This is a rather extreme reaction even for Em and as it turned out the next day she came down with a tummy bug followed closely by scarlet fever so I guess that contributed to her unstable emotional condition. She also would rather go cold than wear her school jumper which, for some unknown reason, she does not like!!!! - Mel

Anonymous said...

This morning we reached a new high!!! Em cried for half an hour culminating in the words "I wish I'd never been born" all because I gave her a pony tail instead of pigtails. Some of her arguements included "Ponytails look so disgusting on me" and my personal favourite "This hair doesn't go with my scar". (Her "scar" being two small scratches beside her nose where Jesse bumped her last night) Sometimes, dealing with my kids, it is hard to know whether to laugh or cry. - Mel

Anonymous said...

Well I think that that depends on whether they are your kids or not. If they are you tend to cry, but I for one am laughing loudly about Emmy and Lizzy.